Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 113,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people's health. We're always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Abbott's Nutrition Division develops science-based nutrition products for people of all ages, from helping babies and children grow, to keeping adult bodies strong and active. Millions of people around the world count on our leading brands - including Similac®, PediaSure®, Pedialyte®, Ensure®, Glucerna® and ZonePerfect® - to help get the nutrients they need to live their healthiest life.
WORKING AT ABBOTT
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Fast paced work environment where your safety is our priority
- Production areas that are clean, well-lit and temperature-controlled
- Training and career development , with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs, Medical Benefits start day 1
- Vacation - 3 weeks accrued vacation (1st year is prorated) + vacation buy program + 3 personal days + 10 paid holidays
- Company Paid Pension Plan
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match of 5%
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor's degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
As a Powerhouse Operator, you will operate and maintain Energy Center equipment and systems. You must be able to perform all duties with minimal or no supervision.
What You'll Work On:
- Operate Energy Center equipment and related control systems (eg boilers, ammonia refrigeration system, air compressors, chillers, cooling towers, carbon columns, water treatment systems, fire protection system and sewer system)
- Monitor the Industrial Pretreatment Plant and react to situations that may arise
- Perform various chemical tests on steam, refrigeration, and water systems such as hardness, conductance, alkalinity, pH, FMA, manganese, sulfite, and free chlorine
- These test results will be utilized in maintaining proper control of the different steam, refrigeration, and water systems to ensure the delivery of high quality utilities in an efficient and safe manner
- Perform routine maintenance on Energy Center systems and equipment such as boilers, natural gas, ammonia compressors, ammonia evaporator and condenser systems, air compressors, wells, carbon columns, steam systems, dealkalizers, softeners, pumps, and HVAC equipment
High School Diploma/GED required
Minimum of 2 years' experience in a field requiring mechanical/technical skills required
.Employee will be required to successfully complete the following courses within 3 years of Energy Center start date, as they become available:
- Water Treatment/National Association of Power Engineers (16 hours)
- Combustion Controls/National Association of Power Engineers (16 hours)
- Steam Plant I & II/National Association of Power Engineers (32 hours), or Steam System Specialist Training, Level I/Plant Support & Evaluations (32 hours)
- Fourth Class Power Engineers License
- Refrigeration Training (minimum two courses, must be approved by dept. manager)
- Basic Electrical Circuits/Glen Oaks Community College
- Basis Chemistry/Glen Oaks Community College
- 24 Hour Ammonia HAZMAT Training
- Testing (Oral and Practical Exam)
After one year from operator attaining Powerhouse Operator I status a process known as the Sr. Powerhouse Operator Certification Exam will begin. The employee will be expected to have gained enough knowledge on the equipment and system operations to score at least a 70% on this exam. This learning process requires the operator to be self motivated and take the initiative to learn the equipment, systems, and theories related to the operation of each. At the operator's request this testing can begin sooner providing all other requirements are met and they have proven their competency at this level. Failure to successfully complete this exam (70% or better) will result in employee being displaced from this position.
Provide all utilities for the Sturgis Plant - electric, water, steam, sewage treatment, compressed air, refrigeration, air conditioning and fire protection.
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity. Abbott is a military/veteran-friendly employer.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.