PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Manufacturing Engineer is accountable to establish and maintain processes and procedures to safely operate the batch house and furnaces to meet codes, specifications, and to continuously improve the glass making process by eliminating waste, improving safety, reducing cost, increasing capacity and productivity, and improving the product per customer requirements.
The position reports to: Technical Leader
1. Live the Safety stand, adhere to the safety responsibilities. The Batch, and Furnace Engineer will have responsibility for:
- Ensuring a safe, clean, and environmentally compliant work environment and building a culture where safety is first priority
- Ensuring that all controls plans, work instructions, standard work, and other procedures related to the technical operation of the batch house and furnaces ensure the safety of employees
- Developing risk assessments for critical tasks including emergency response
- Safety Metrics - RIR, Risk Reduction
2. Knowing our Customers. The Batch and Furnace Engineer will have responsibility for:
- Identifying, understanding, and teaching others the Critical Process Characteristics require to provide our customers with a quality product, beginning with the base glass
- Developing and implementing procedures and systems to ensure glass/products consistently meet or exceed customer expectations, include supporting experiments or trials for new and existing products
- Key Glass Related Product Characteristics
3. Process Performance. The Batch and Furnace Engineer will have responsibility for:
- Conducting process audits to review Critical Process Variables and implementing sustainable corrective actions for process shifts or upsets
- Determining process and product capability (Cpk)
- Implementing control charting schemes for Critical product and process variables
- Developing and implementing control plans and standard work to ensure that all processes and products meet specifications at the lowest cost
- Identifying and eliminating special causes of process variation (troubleshooting)
- Analyzing process data, providing feedback and making recommendations to optimize performance
- Working with glass insulation melter network, identify and implement process best practices
- Coaching, counseling, and training operators in the binder, batch, and melter areas
- Establishing safe, efficient and effective methods for all critical tasks and audit performance
- Partner with maintenance, operations and other members of the technical team to resolve equipment issues and improve equipment reliability
- Identifying and requesting capital funding for equipment, modifications, etc.
- Operational Efficiencies - Production Line Uptime and Bushing Availability
- Batch System Performance Metrics
- Critical Glass Product and Process Variables
- Unit Cost
- Environmental Compliance
4. Leading and Developing Talent. The Batch and Furnace Engineer will have responsibility for:
- Educating primary employees in the glass melting process, process control procedures, autonomous maintenance requirements and emergency response procedures
- Coaching, counseling, and training of new engineers as part of their development plans
- Partnering with employees to develop and implement standardized work for critical tasks
- Individual Goals and Objectives
- Employee Training Plans
- Minimum of 3 years' experience within a manufacturing or technical environment or leadership development program. Glass batch/melting experience preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Science preferred.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Understands customer needs, environmental requirements, product specifications, basic cost drivers, Critical Product Characteristics, and the Critical Process Variables that impact these elements
- Understands and works with basic principles of engineering
- Understands statistical concepts including data analysis, control charts, process capability and design of experiments to drive continuous improvements
- Understands basic elements of producing fiberglass including raw materials, glass melting, processes and control systems
- Ability to communicate with and engage employees at all levels of the organization
- Ability to manage multiple priorities or projects at one time
- Ability to travel 5-10%
Personal Leadership Capabilities:
- Ideation: Encourages ideas and future possibilities through candor, open discussion, and constructive debate.
- Evaluation: Understands and frames opportunities that are customer inspired, identifies alternative solutions to address these opportunities, and determines criteria necessary for execution. Uses this evaluative process to build markets and accelerate company success.
- ?Action: Gets results by testing and experimentation, fast pursuit, reflection, and adjustment. Creates the systems, structures, and environment to execute with speed.
- Connection: Collaborates across groups. Influences, inspires, and energizes others to engage in learning and achieve shared goals.?
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2020 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 66 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.